Thursday, May 8, 2008

Doing Malaysia proud - The Star

A MALAYSIAN from the University of Manchester, Stephenie Siew Jean Tiew, has won the International Student of the Year 2008 and a prize of £2,000 (RM12,500) with her inspirational story of student life in Britain

Stephenie, from Kuching, is in her final year as a medical student. She received her prize at a ceremony held in London, hosted by BBC Radio 1 DJ Nihal recently.

She was one of 58 Malaysian students out of more than 1,500 students, representing 127 nationalities, who entered the British

Stephenie (right) poses with Choo and fellow Malaysian finalist Choi Yee Xian at the awards ceremony.

Council competition, designed to shine the spotlight on international students and their unique contributions.

To enter, each student was asked to write a personal “letter home” in English, detailing the out-of-class achievements that help make their time in Britain so rewarding.

“I have to thank my parents for influencing me to come here to further my studies as they too had pursued their A-levels and tertiary education in Britain,” said the 24-year-old.

Stephenie showed her passion for working with children by establishing the 'Save a Baby's Life Society' with some of her fellow students.

The group go into local communities to teach basic life support skills to parents and carers of babies. In addition to running workshops, Stephenie fundraises for the society.

Despite her busy schedule, she finds time to mentor local teenagers who are interested in a career in healthcare, and writes for the medical school newsletter – Mediscope – and also represent the university in debating tournaments.

In her letter, Stephenie said: “I can confidently say that my university experience has not only equipped me to face the working world but it has also moulded me into a well-rounded person.

“I'm proud of my accomplishments as the United Kingdom has offered me an unforgettable experience. The supportive culture in campus, be it from faculty staff or peers, has knitted an extraordinary student life for me. I am a simple country girl who has blossomed into a confident and capable woman.”

After winning the award, she added: “I am thrilled and delighted to have been chosen as an ambassador for both my university and my country.”

When presented with the award by Malaysian-born Datuk Jimmy Choo, Stephenie said she was starstruck. “He was so down to earth and humble. It was an honour to meet him as he is a good role model for Malaysians both at home and abroad.”

She added that Choo had promised to make her a pair of shoes. “I'll need to check up on that,” she mused.

In his speech, Choo said: “I am honoured and proud to be invited for the second year running to present the awards to the international students and equally proud that a fellow Malaysian is the recipient of the overall title.”

The following is Stephanie's award-winning letter:

Stephenie Siew Jean Tiew University of Manchester Undergraduate Medicine

Dear Mum and Dad,

Hope all is well at home. My colleagues at my part time job threw me a farewell party.

The job at Subway provided me with a very generous allowance (I managed to fund my driving lessons and buy a car) but with final examinations 4 months away, I think it's only sensible that I make more time for revision. I look forward to both of you attending my convocation in 6 months' time.

As my time in university is drawing to an end, I am deeply grateful for the hard-earned money and morale support you have provided.

I can confidently say that my university experience has not only equipped me well to face the working world but also moulded me into a well-rounded person. I'm proud of my accomplishments.

In April 2007, I was awarded the prestigious Royal College of Paediatrics and Child Health (RCPCH) Student Prize. Only 20 prizes were available and medical schools nationwide were only allowed to propose 1 nominee. I was nominated out of 464 students in my university for my helpful approach, excellent handling of patients and for displaying academic excellence. I was thrilled to be awarded the highest honor in Paediatrics.

I am very passionate about working with children, especially babies. This prompted me to undertake life saving skills from the Royal Life Saving Society. A few medical students and I then established 'Save a Baby's Life Society' and we went out into the community to teach basic life support skills to parents and carers of babies.

Weekday lunch times were spent advertising the workshop and receiving training. Weekends were well spent by supervising the workshop usually held in community centres or nurseries. I'm usually in charge of driving the (very realistic looking baby size) manikins to the workshop venue, setting up the refreshment table and welcoming the parents. We take turns to deliver the training. Parents get hands on experience with the manikins and really appreciate that these simple steps can potentially help them to avoid fatalities in their children.

I also work hard to raise funds to run this society. This involves organizing events like curry nights or a bake sale at the university. I think £162 (from our latest bake sale) is great for a few students baking a few cakes and on top of that, I learned how to make fabulous scones from my British housemate!

As a fourth year medical student, I spent a number of afternoons with sixth formers from neighbouring schools. I responded to a poster in my university calling for volunteers to be mentors to teenagers who are keen in a career in healthcare. These sessions are called 'A Taste of Medicine'.

At first, I was a little worried I wouldn't know what to say. However, my worries quickly dissipated when I met them. They are such a lively bunch. We talked about everything- my course, their schools, my university and their families. We run out of time every session! One of my mentees made it to my medical school and he said that simply having someone to talk to, someone who is there as a guide was really valuable for him. That was truly heart-warming.

As a final year medical student, I represented the university in a regional debating tournament in November 2007. I was the only international student on the team and I was named among the top three debaters. This achievement really boosted my confidence in public speaking and my English language skills. I have since been privileged to be a regular feature writer for the medical school newsletter- 'Mediscope1 which boasts a circulation of 3000 readers. I write medical book reviews, film reviews and interviews with medical personalities. The best part about doing these interviews is the opportunity to dabble in some photography. I pick up more tricks with practice!

Despite the occasional bouts of homesickness, I have no regrets about my decision to further my studies here. The UK has offered me an unforgettable experience. When I'm here, I feel that the sky is the limit and I have dared to dream. This is a place full of opportunities and endless possibilities. The supportive culture in campus, be it from the faculty staff or peers; have knitted an extraordinary student life for me-1 am a simple country girl that has blossomed into a confident and capable woman.

P.S. My penultimate year research paper has been accepted for the esteemed International Workshop on Digital Mammography 2008 in Arizona USA. I will be the only medical student presenting a paper at that workshop. Don't worry about funding as it will be completely sponsored.

Take care.

Love, Steph

No comments: