Thursday, November 25, 2010

OUM grads thrive on PhD challenges - NST

Nov 21, 2010

Dr Baljinder (second from left) with 6 other PhD graduates from left: Dr Patrick Wong, Dr Lum, Dr Sia, Dr Richard Ng, Dr Wong and Dr Aminah

PURSUING a PhD qualification is not a spur-of-the-moment decision as it entails rigorous study and great persistence. Baljinder Singh, however, sees the endeavour as a normal progression in his career as an academic.

The senior lecturer with a public university in Sarawak says pursuing a doctorate degree was his way of proving a point to his students.

"In the life of an academic, there should never be a full stop when it comes to the pursuit of knowledge. To be an effective educator, keeping abreast with the latest development in one's field is essential and, there is no better way of doing so than to embark on a PhD journey."
Most Popular Articles

He acknowledges that it requires patience and fortitude to reach the finishing line. "I had my fair share of 'turbulence' in my PhD journey but I was lucky as it occurred mainly during the initial stage of my research," says Baljinder, who graduated with a PhD in Education at Open University Malaysia's (OUM) ninth convocation recently.

He was among the first batch of seven PhD graduates who received their scrolls from chancellor Tun Jeanne Abdullah. The convocation saw 5,931 graduates receiving their scrolls.

Baljinder says he was fortunate to have a capable supervisor who provided him with much-needed guidance and push whenever he lagged. "With his guidance, feedback and critical comments, I was able to complete my study in slightly less than four years."

Despite receiving offers from various universities for him to do his PhD, Baljinder opted to do his at OUM.

2 comments:

Anokye Adam said...

How long did it take them to graduate?

aravthu yadhavan said...


Hi, probably our entry may be off topic but anyways, I have been surfing around your blog and it looks very professional. It’s obvious you know your topic

and you appear fervent about it. I’m developing a fresh blog plus I’m struggling to make it look good, as well as offer the best quality content. I have

learned much at your web site and also I anticipate alot more articles and will be coming back soon. Thanks you.








PhD research guidance