Tuesday, August 25, 2009

‘Grads’ unable to contact IIU - Star

Aug 25, 2009 By HARIATI AZIZAN

PETALING JAYA: Attempts by a few “graduates” of alleged degree mill Irish International University (IIU) to contact their alma mater after the Starprobe’s expose came to nought yesterday.

“I called their office many times but nobody picked up the phone. I just want to get a clarification from them,” said a marketing executive who holds a Master’s of Business Administration from the institution, which had changed its name to Isles International University.

The executive, who only wanted to be known as C.C. Lee, said she had been worried about her position at work since reading Sunday’s Starprobe report on “dodgy” degrees.

When the Starprobe team checked out the official IIU office in Petaling Jaya - as stated in their website and correspondence - they were greeted by a padlocked door with only a forwarding number pasted on it.

When the Starprobe team tried to call the new number no one picked up the phone.

A quick visit at the “new” office, located nearby, revealed that it was still operational.

Another IIU victim who only wanted to be known as Vernon said he was considering taking legal action against the institution.

“I was shocked to read the Starprobe report. My convocation ceremony in 2006 was very ‘real’ - it was held at the Kuala Lumpur Convention Centre and I received my scroll from a deputy minister. We had guests of honour, who claimed to be academics from the European Union University, to witness the ceremony,” he said.

Vernon, who works in the hospitality sector, said that he found out about the university from a booth the institution had set up at a Tesco outlet.

“I was browsing through their brochures when they offered me an opportunity to get a degree. They told me that with my 10 years of experience, I was eligible for a degree if I submitted a project paper. They showed me pictures of famous people who received degrees from them and video clips of their past convocation ceremonies,” he said.

“I regret it now. I should have suspected that something was wrong because it was too easy but they really convinced me that my experience meant something and that their operation was legitimate,” he added.

No comments: